Sunday, June 3, 2012

On my plate...

For anyone who knows me, they know that I kinda really like chocolate. So today's challenge was not a hard one for me to decide what to put on my plate, it had to be chocolate. It was a no brainer. I think maybe I get my love of chocolate from my Grandpa. Everyone knows that he loves chocolate too. So every birthday, Christmas, or Father's Day the gifts for Grandpa were generally along the lines of something chocolaty. He would get boxes of yumminess and he would put them in the freezer so they would last until the next chocolate holiday. Everyday, and I have suspicions that maybe it was more than once a day, he would go to the freezer for his treats! He would eat them row by row until that box was empty and then open another one! I imagine the twinkle in his eye as he popped that rock hard piece of fabulousness in his mouth. He is brilliant. If they were in the freezer, he didn't have to share. Who really wants to share your favorite thing anyway?

This brings me to the yummy chocolate cake that you see in the photo today. It has been a go to recipe in our house since the very first time that I tried it. It's easy and, of course, chocolaty! This cake has been shared around our table with many friends over the years. I think maybe even sent home with a few! It's best when it's warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. So today, I will share this easy recipe with you. It's nothing fancy but it is good!

Chocolate Snack Cake (Betty Crocker Cookbook)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the bottom and side of a 9-inch round pan with cooking spray and lightly flour.

In a medium bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt. In a small bowl (I like to use a two cup glass measuring cup), stir 1 cup cold water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp. white vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until mixed well. Vigorously stir oil and water mixture into the dry ingredients for about 1 minute or until well blended. Pour into cake pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chocolate chips and a tablespoon or two of sugar. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

That's it! It's easy! It has never NOT turned out....that's the kind of recipe I dig! Enjoy your Sunday...hopefully it will include chocolate! Peace.....

No comments:

Post a Comment