Sunday, June 10, 2012

Best Bit of My Weekend


I have to say there were many "best bits" this weekend. Unfortunately,  I can't say though that I have captured them all on film. In doing this photo challenge, part of the point for me was to get behind the camera and kind of make it a habit. I find though that when I am with people, I don't think of the camera. I don't want to be bothered to remember to bring it and to leave with it. My mind is usually on other things! So these are the pictures that my camera missed but will remain the "best bits" in my memory for a long time.... The first was seeing my friend Jane. We have not seen each other for five years (way too long!) and it was wonderful to talk with her and to meet her sweet little kids. It really was like no time had passed at all. We picked up where we left off all those years ago! Another thing that I want to imprint on my mind was watching my kids play on one of those old school merry-go-rounds. You know the ones; they aren't in any modern playground because kids fall off of them and they make them sick. But oh the good times that can be had spinning at top speeds until you're too dizzy to walk! Another memory that will stick with me is the laugh that Jeremy and I had on the way home. It has been a long while since we laughed like that...until we could hardly breathe and the tears were streaming. What we were laughing at probably wouldn't cause the same experience today, but last night it was the icing on a beautiful day! Laughing with Jeremy is one of my favorite things in the world. Another "best bit" was when Coen crawled into bed with us this morning for cuddles. I have to take those cuddles when I can get them, he rarely sits long enough for even a hug. I enjoy the times that he does want to be close! The last and tastiest bit of the weekend was the strawberry and cream cheese ice cream that we just devoured. Seriously creamy and yummy! Almost every bite by Coen had an accompanying 'ummm'. It really was that good. So to end this post today I will share another recipe....
Strawberry and Cream Cheese Ice Cream (Better Homes and Gardens)

2 cups strawberries
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Directions:
1. Place berries in a medium bowl; mash with potato masher until crushed. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the milk and beat just until combined. Add mashed berries, remaining milk, whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and almond extract; beat until just combined.
3. Pour into the freezer bowl of ice cream maker and let it churn for 20-25 minutes. (We ate ours after the 25 minutes because we were all pretty excited to try it, but you could put it in a different bowl and freeze it for a bit to have a little bit firmer ice cream. Either way, it is so fabulous!)

Well that's it for today...tune in tomorrow for another photo and maybe something interesting from me??!!


1 comment:

  1. I need to remember moments like you experienced...the merry go arounds...in Germany the kids enjoyed it and it was also a ice cream day all you could eat...Seth felt sick not sure if it was the ice cream or merry go maybe both :) Thanks Lisa for placing a picture and smile in my mind today! Welcome back home :)

    ReplyDelete