Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Running

I am not a runner. I guess you could say that I am not a fan. I would rather run after a soccer ball for hours than run down a road. I think another part of my distaste might be that the only time that I could possibly go for a run without children would be at 5:30 in the morning!! I don't see that happening anytime soon. My husband, on the other hand, loves to run. But he also has a pretty major glitch when it comes to actually doing it. It is physically painful to him.

Jeremy lost his right leg to cancer when he was seventeen years old. Running since then has been something that he has longed to do. I remember him telling me that one of the last things he did with two legs was to go for a run. I can't imagine wanting to do something so badly and feeling nothing but pain if I tried to do it. Something that I take for granted and don't even want to do, he would enjoy so much. I think about Terry Fox often and about how every step he took in his journey must have been agony. Every step jarring and bruising because the prosthetic leg that he wore was never meant for running.

This morning I received a phone call from Jeremy's prosthetist telling us that War Amps has approved funding for a running leg for Jeremy. I almost dropped the phone! The running leg is worth thousands of dollars! This is a dream, one that seemed impossible this side of heaven, coming true. Jeremy will get to run, like the wind, again...with freedom and without pain. I am in awe of this gift.

I am glad that I can still feel awe and wonder. I know that as I watch Jeremy disappear down the road, running his little heart out, I will be feeling these things every time. It might even inspire me to join him, even in the middle of the night!!

1 comment:

  1. awesome for you guys! Eric Liddell from Scotland (famous in the Chariots of Fire book/movie) stated that when he ran, he felt the pleasure of God... may you have that same joy!

    ReplyDelete